Imagine putting all your essentials in a campervan, saying goodbye to your mates and relatives, and hitting the open road ahead with your house. No, not for the occasional vacation or road voyage across country or continent, but actually packing all your things into the van and calling it home.
If the idea causes jitters and excitement in you, it may seem you crave life on the move. Yes, you are allowed to dwell campervan but let not the glamorous van lifers experiences fool you. Living in a campervan is one thrilling experience, but you require knowing somethings before jumping into the lifestyle.
Is it Legal?
Currently, there exists no legislation forbidding you from dwelling in your campervan. What you are required to do is obtaining an MOT certificate proving the roadworthiness of the van, you are good to go.
The issue you should be worried about is where you are to park when you are on the road. Different local governments have laws and limitations on where you can park or not. A good example is, some areas in the UK may restrict you from parking on a street or layby overnight.
There is also the issue of how secure is the site on which you want to park. If you have doubts on where to park overnight, inquire from The Highway Code Guide.
Is the Campervan Lifestyle for You?
Similar to how a snail carries its home wherever it goes so does a van lifer(campervans are much faster though). All you have to decide is where you want to go, start your van and off you go. You get to move around and explore new places and things each day. Sounds magical?
Well, before selling your house, you may need to weigh the good and the bad correlated with dwelling in a campervan. Here the pros and cons.
Here are the grounds why van lifers keep going;
- You get to wake up in diverse areas that you can tour in-depth since you are in no hurry.
- Campervan life is more economical than conventional homes since you are in a tinier space.
- The amount of work needed is greatly reduced since you only clean a small place.
- Ability to Work Remotely on the move. You can also easily switch careers.
- You get to learn and experience different cultures and make friends as you go.
Here are the reasons why some people shy away from the campervan lifestyle;
- You do not have a permanent address since you keep moving.
- You can only take the essentials as a campervan has no luxury of space.
- You have to share the space and everything if you are not alone.
- You will lack some amenities like hospitals. Remember that not all campervans have toilets.
- Varied costs since you are not sure how your day is going to be. You may find yourself buying a lot.
Do I need Campervan Insurance?
Just like you would insure your conventional home from risks, so are you required for your campervan. If you choose to make your campervan your full-time house, then having the best campervan insurance is imperative.
Whether your campervan is sophisticated or not, accidents do happen. Get a quote for campervan insurance from campervaninsurance.co.uk and chose one that fits your journey.
After pondering over the pros and cons only you can determine if living in a campervan is suitable for you. If you choose to be a van lifer be sure you got your essentials and credentials ready. Enjoy the great outdoors.