Whether you’re new to motorcycles or a long-time seasoned professional, it’s vital to remember the importance of safety. Cruising down open roads or racing around an open track can be fun, but fun can quickly turn into fatality when you don’t wear a helmet. Too many riders think it’s badass to shirk safety and find themselves paying the price later. If you’d like to keep riding and avoid road rash—or worse—follow these pro tips for picking out the best motorcycle helmet.
5 Tips for Selecting the Right Helmet
1. Take Measurements: You should never assume that one size fits all. Motorcycle helmets are designed with an average head size in mind, but an ill-fitted helmet can negate all of the safety benefits it should offer. Take measurements before making a purchase. Some people need extra large motorcycle helmetsand don’t even realize it!
2. Consider Visibility: Helmets don’t keep you safe only by protecting your head. They should also boost your visibility and ensure that other drivers and riders see you on the road. If you’ll be driving on highways or during nighttime, brightly-colored headgear may be a wise option.
3. Invest in Comfort: Being uncomfortable in your helmet is distracting, and distractions are a safety hazard. It’s vital to find a helmet that’s just as comfy as it is cool. Features such as a conformed lining or extra ventilation can make a big difference.
4. Find the Right Style: Why kind of motorcycling do you plan to do? Cross-country rides? Off-road expeditions? The answer to this question will also determine what kind of helmet you should choose. There are motorcycle helmets designed for dirt bikes, sports, cruisers, as well as motorcycle helmets for women.
5. Make an Investment: Your helmet is one of the most important pieces of gear you’ll wear. Treat it as an investment in your safety and experience. Follow the aforementioned tips to find headgear that’s right for you and your ride.